Search This Blog

Monday 16 September 2013

Week Two, 9th – 13th Sept 2013

Headland has a large evaluation project consisting of some c.200 trenches in Warwick at present. There are some interesting Iron Age and Medieval enclosures and boundaries showing up on the geophysical survey results. I spent this week on that excavation familiarizing myself with Headland excavation and recording systems which will be vital in any practical work I do in the future. It was a great opportunity to meet the field staff who aren't always in the office and I learnt allot of new strategies from Luke Craddock-Bennet and Marius Ignatius. Luke is also one of my supervisors for this placement and it was nice to get to know him better in the workplace and out of. He showed me how to work with the GPS systems used in stetting out trenches, recording features and topography which will help with the upcoming projects.

I also met Annie Partridge who has just completed her year on the CBA CATP with Canterbury Archaeological Trust and has returned to Headland as a field supervisor. She has given me a great insight into what might be in store for me this year and some sound advice. A very useful person to know  and it is worth checking out her blog for her time spent on this placement http://beadsboatsandflowerbeds.blogspot.co.uk/


On Tuesday evening after work I drove to Leominster to the regional Scouts, Cubs and Beavers meeting to propose ideas for the resestivity and topographical survey of Rowe Ditch in Bartonsham to the wider scouting community of Hertfordshire. With Chris Ruff (AKA Tosh), leader of the ‘1st Hereford (YMCA) Scout Group’, as my introduction I presented the plans so far to around 50 leaders and discussed the possibility of side projects and related badges involving the different groups. My idea was to judge the initial interest and what type of work could be achieved. With resounding 100% ‘yes’ it would appear I now have my work cut out. I am already applying to be an ‘occasional helper’ with the ‘1st Hereford (YMCA) Scout Group’ to cover any CRB considerations and ease future work with the children. You must always consider the safety of children with this type of work and it is best to get such checks over with early as they may take some time to come through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment