Search This Blog

Monday 14 October 2013

Week Six, 7th - 11th Oct 2013

I returned to HSFC on Friday to do a presentation to the archaeology students on the proposed work experience. It was a good practice in doing public speaking with PowerPoint presentations and I enjoyed the experience greatly. It was nice to see a group of budding archaeologists willing to volunteer their time and so I tried to make the experience as interesting as possible since they were giving up their lunch break to listen to me. I took along a selection of samian pottery and some of the small finds from the Alcester site to spur their interest and I think they enjoyed being able to handle some real archaeology, even for a brief moment. 






Pictures of some of the environmental processing so far.


There was encouraging support from the students for the project so Jason Williams (head of archaeology) and I decided it may be beneficial to have some sort of introductory workshop during half term for the students that expressed interest. This would be a good opportunity to meet them more personally and give them a better idea of the work we intend to undertake over the coming months. But with twenty or so enthusiastic volunteers this will take some organizing. This will be the first volunteer activity I will have organised and run so far on this placement so I am excited to get started.




Images of some of the small finds from Alcester Bleachfield St.

No comments:

Post a Comment